This was my second homemade protein bars recipe that I came up with back in the early days. If a tootsie roll and a chocolate turtle had a high protein baby, this would be it. This protein bars recipe is made with blackstrap molasses which gives them that tootsie roll taste, and they’re packed with iron and other important minerals to boot. These homemade protein bars are soft, chewy, and packed with flavour, plus they’re low carb and gluten free!
- 1 Tbsp cashew butter (you can use another nut butter if you like)
- 1 Tbsp blackstrap molasses
- ⅛ to ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 4 scoops (120 g) chocolate whey protein powder (I used Whey Gourmet)
- 60 g (around ⅓ cup) chopped pecans
- Measure out cashew butter and blackstrap molasses into medium sized mixing bowl.
- Slowly mix in ⅛ cup of almond milk (you may or may not need to add more later, but be careful not to add too much or you’ll have a sticky mess on your hands).
- Mix in protein powder scoop by scoop, adding more almond milk if needed. It should like a bit of a workout mixing this stuff together, and it will definitely be a bitch to clean the bowl (and your hands lol) after, but I promise it’s worth it!
- Next, divide the mix into 4 balls, and form into patties (I find the patty shape is easier to work with than a bar shape since they’re kind sticky), and dip them into a bowl of the pecan pieces until they’re fairly well coated.
- Wrap them up individually with plastic wrap if you want to eat them later, and be advised that it’s best to eat them within a week, even better within a few days – this protein bars recipe will dry out.
266 calories 169 mg sodium
22 g protein 226 g potassium
12 g carbs 1% vitamin A
15 g fat 10% vitamin C
3 g fiber 25% calcium
7 g sugar 14% iron