I used this high protein spread to top my Lemon Coconut Panna Cotta. You can also use it as a high protein filling for tarts, spread it on some Protein Pancakes, use it in a layer cake, or just spread it on top of some toast with light cream cheese or ricotta. Yum!
(ps: when I made it, I hadn’t discovered erythritol yet, so I used coconut palm sugar which is quite dark. Your lemon curd protein spread should turn out a much prettier bright yellow than mine! Oh, and by the way, I also have a raspberry curd protein spread recipe too!)
- 2 lemons – zest and juice
- ½ cup erythritol
- 3 packets stevia powder
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil (or you can just use butter)
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tbsp plain unflavored whey protein isolate
- (1/8 cup water – depending what thickness you want. I didn’t use any as I wanted a firmer texture, so if you’re going to use it for tarts or to scoop onto panna cottas, don’t use water. If you want a more spreadable or pourable texture add ⅛ cup or so)
- Peel the zest off you lemons, and use a citrus juicer to extract the juice (you should get around ¼ cup).
- Throw everything except the oil into a magic bullet or blender until smooth. You may want to strain it after to make sure there’s no chunks of zest.
- Mix in the oil (you may need to melt it a bit in the microwave first).
- Pour everything into a pot and heat on low, whisking constantly, until it thickens – about 10 minutes.
- Let it sit out until it’s room temperature, and then cover and refrigerate. It will thicken a bit more as it cools.
- Presto, you’ve got a delicious high protein spread that’ll last you for weeks in the fridge.
(per 2 Tbsp of protein spread)
65 calories 19 mg sodium
4.7 g protein 30.5 mg potassium
2.2 g carbs 1% vitamin A
4.3 g fat 13% vitamin C
.7 g fiber 4% calcium
1 g sugar 2% iron