Want to get started on some protein powder recipes? I have compiled three lists – must haves that you need to get started, other frequently used ingredients that you may not have or worked with yet, and regular baking ingredients that I use. These lists are here to help you get an idea of what kind of ingredients I use, and what you may need to stock up on to get started.
I’ve also included links to pages where I’ll also talk a bit more in depth about what ingredients I use and why, ingredient substitutions, ingredients for special diets (like vegan, and gluten free), and the best places to buy ingredients in store, and online.
MUST HAVES THAT YOU NEED TO GET STARTED
- Plain Unflavored Whey Protein Isolate
- Erythritol (natural sweetener – available in granulated and powdered versions. Granulated is used most)
- Stevia Powder (I use Now Foods Stevia Balance – it comes in 100 individual packets)
OTHER FREQUENTLY USED INGREDIENTS
- Liquid Egg Whites
- Coconut Oil
- Olive Oil Spray (great for coating muffin papers etc)
- Coconut Flour
- Oat Flour
- Almond Flour
- Oats (I use Quaker quick Oats, but others should work as well)
- Chocolate/Vanilla Whey Protein Powder (I like Whey Gourmet)
- Nut Butters like almond, cashew etc
- PB2 (powdered peanut butter – amazing stuff!)
- Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Coconut Milk
- 0% or 2% Greek Yogurt (I like Liberte as it is the lowest in carbs that I’ve found)
- Low-fat Quark (a not so common dairy product somewhere between cream cheese and greek yogurt)
THE REGULAR BAKING MUST HAVES
- White and Whole Wheat Flours
- Regular granulated and powdered sugar (used occasionally for coatings, icings)
- Cocoa Powder
- Vanilla (I like powdered vanilla beans, but pure liquid vanilla extract works too)
- Powdered cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, ginger, all-spice
- Milk, cream
- Peanut Butter
Learn more about the ingredients I work with and why – I cover in detail categories like protein powders, sweeteners, dairy, eggs, flours & grains, oils & fats, nuts & seeds, fruits & vegetables, and high impact flavor boosters.
VEGAN, RAW, GLUTEN FREE, PALEO INGREDIENTS
Recipes that are vegan, raw, vegan, gluten-free, paleo etc are tagged accordingly. I have started a list of ingredient substitutions for vegan and gluten-free diets as well, so that you can adapt other recipes to suit your dietary requirements. I’d like to expand upon these lists and add ones for paleo, and raw diets, so stay tuned. Anyone out there know some resources I can check out and recommend to other readers?
If you have any of the dietary requirements from the section above, or are just curious about alternate ingredients you can use in protein buff recipes, check out the Ingredient Substitutions page.
Some stuff you’ll be able to find easily at a regular grocery store, other may require a trip to a health food or whole foods store, or bulk barn. Some things you’ll only be able to find online. For protein powders, sweeteners, and for those hard to find ingredients, I find it the easiest (and cheapest) to purchase online. Here is a detailed list of online retailers that I use, and that I have found to have the best selection, prices, and service.