Okay, I know this high protein muffin recipe sounds weird – but I swear it doesn’t taste like beans! And they’re worth the healthy added dose of fiber, protein, and potassium. This is the first time I worked with hemp protein powder as well. It’s not as high protein as other powders, but it’s a nice change from the whey I usually work with, and it’s got some health benefits that whey doesn’t. You’ll need a magic bullet or blender to puree the beans for these high protein muffins, hope you enjoy!
By the way, my last several posts were lacking in pictures, since they were early recipes before I started documenting things for Protein Buff. Now that I’m caught up with posting those recipes that I wanted to share, I wanted to bring back some photo pizazz! You can definitely expect photos on future posts, I know you guys like a preview of what you might be baking. So without further adieu, I present the my black bean chocolate hemp protein muffin recipe!
- 1 can (540 mls) – black beans – drained and rinsed (make sure to get one with no salt added. Pc Blue Menu is the one I used)
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup egg whites
- 4 Tbsp (1/4 cup) almond butter
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 40 g (a little shy of ⅓ cup) – coconut flour
- 4 scoops (140 g) chocolate hemp protein powder
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 2 packs stevia powder (I like NOW foods Stevia Balance)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 fahrenheit.
- Throw beans and almond milk in blender (or in 2 batches in a magic bullet) until pureed.
- Mix wet ingredients together (melt coconut oil in microwave first if it’s solid) including the bean puree in a large mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, mix dry ingredients.
- Bit by bit, mix the dry ingredients into the wet.
- Line muffin tin with paper liners.
- Pour the high protein muffin batter into liners (about ¾ full), and throw them in the oven for 25 to 30 mins.
- Voila, an awesome protein muffin recipe!
160 calories 144 mg sodium
13 protein 293 mg potassium
13.1 g carbs 2 % vitamin A
6.4 g fat 0% vitamin C
5.6 g fiber 18% calcium
.6 g sugar 19% iron